Thursday, February 4, 2010

Girl, Interrupted

Hi guys,

Sam and I chose an excerpt from "Girl, Interrupted," Susanna Kaysen's 1993 memoir about her stay in McLean Hospital, a psychiatric hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts, during the years 1967-68. In the chapter we selected, she discusses treating the "mind" vs. treating the "brain."



You might have seen this, but I also wanted to share this ny times essay, which touches on the mind vs. brain issue, and explores some of the ways that "mental illnesses" are conceptualized and treated in different parts of the world. The author makes a good argument that there are some dangers in exporting American ideas about mental illness to other countries.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/magazine/10psyche-t.html?scp=1&sq=crazy%20like%20us&st=cse

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so I know I'm not technically sure if I can be a part of the group anymore, but I'm also really bad at keeping my mouth shut. Sarah, this is fascinating. Have you ever read Paul Farmer's book AIDS AND ACCUSATION about AIDS in Haiti? I have some really great books along these lines(i.e. the socio-cultural specificity of illness, mental or otherwise) on epilepsy in Hmong culture, depression and alcoholism amongst First Nations Canadians, and so on... just if you ever want to borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sian-- I don't know if I can speak for everyone, but I think I can when I say that I hope you chime in and come to meetings WHENEVER you can. Your presence and contributions are so valuable. I haven't read AIDS and Accusation but would love to borrow it. I've read The spirit catches you and you fall down, if that's the Hmong + epilepsy book you're referring to, and was really taken in by it. Let's discuss more..I'll take this off blog now. but we missed you last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, THE SPIRIT CATCHES YOU AND YOU FALL DOWN is great. I also thoroughly recommend the (more obscure) book about First Nations re: effects of colonialism on mental health. Sorry everyone else! I'll keep it off-blog!

    ReplyDelete